Thursday, September 28, 2017

Fwd: white christians v. black christians and the protests


Thanks for sending this link
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/heres-what-many-white-christians-fail-to-understand-about-the-nfl-protests_us_59cbbd56e4b02aef6cd6a031


Its an interesting story / idea, suggesting that Black and White Christians have different attitudes about protest.

I thought I would compare it to one national survey, the General Social Survey.  I did a few quick tables looking only at people that identified as Christian (Protestant, Catholic, or other Christian were the answer choices), then examining how Blacks and Whites within these Christian groups responded differently to questions about protest.  While I think the author may be right, the evidence in this national random poll suggests that Black Christians are more likely to support protest in most cases, but that the difference is small and not statistically significant.

This first question asks if youthful protest is good. You can see that Blacks are more likely to strongly agree, but that whites are more likely to agree.  Also, the P value (below the chart on the right) is .09, which is above .05, thus showing that the difference between Black and White Christians in regards to their answer on this question is not a statistically significant difference.  



Black Christians would rather go on a protest march than white Christians, and this difference is not statistically significant.  Among Christians, Blacks are more likely to say they definitely would, and whites are more likely to say they probably would not.  The difference is not statistically significant.  

 




While Black Christians are more likely to say they would join a protest, white Christians are more likely to say they have actually attended a protest (but again the difference is not statistically significant), 




The last chart I ran asked if anti-government protest should be allowed.  There is a small (statistically insignificant) difference whereby Blacks are more likely to support protest,



My conclusion is that while I think the author of the Huffington Post article has some interesting ideas, the General Social Survey shows very limited support. 


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: denny kubal <jdkubal@aol.com>
Date: Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 1:36 PM
Subject: white christians v. black christians and the protests
To: mkubal@indylaw.net, tkubal@csufresno.edu


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/heres-what-many-white-christians-fail-to-understand-about-the-nfl-protests_us_59cbbd56e4b02aef6cd6a031


Denny Kubal
jdkubal@aol.com


1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of the tenuous patriotism of all ethnic groups; in part because of unfair treatment. Should we expect African Americans to have the same definitions of patriotism as Whites, given how this country has (And continues) to mistreat minorities. It reminds me of the great poem "Aint I an American", about Asian American definitions of patriotism being defined by prejudice,
    http://expatspoetry.com/poetry/and-aint-i-an-american/

    ReplyDelete