Uncivil Discourse shouldn't go unnoticed in our world but at the same time it shouldn't be blown out of proportion and over hyped like it does happen sometimes. To me hate speech seems to be the biggest problem due to the wide variety of problems that fall into what is considered hate speech. Like you said on the blog what is considered free speech and what is considered hate speech as well as what is protected or unprotected.
The article I chose was about protesting Milo at Berkley where there was at first a peaceful protest of the speaker but then violent protesters showed up requiring milo to be evacuated as well as 100,000 dollar's worth of damage according to CNN. The reason that I choose this world event is because it gives me a chance to explain what I believe is free speech and what is hate speech. Now when it comes to Milo he takes a very unorthodox approach to how he gets his point across when it comes to his speeches across all the campuses that he visited. Although he has a different way of speech what he does is still protected under free speech even if it is offensive to some people, but other people that fall under the same category may not find it offensive. The reason I bring that up is that when it comes to deciding what is free speech and what is hate speech feeling should be thrown out of the conversation because some people are more sensitive to topics than others. An example for that is when a kid hops on social media and says I wish my parents would die, although they may not meahing that n it literally and might be upset of a recent punishment. Now that is their free speech it's not meant to be taken seriously, but what about a kid that may be friends with them that has lost their parents and misses them. Although it is upsetting to the kid it wasn't hate speech directed at him to make him upset him for not having parents. I said all that for the purpose that what Milo says may offend or upset some people's feelings but it is not hate speech because it upset you.
Another thing that I don't feel should be considered when it comes to hate speech is politics respectively. The reason I feel that way is when it comes to politics whether you lean to the left or the right if someone from the opposite side says something you don't agree with shouldn't be considered hate speech, which is another reason I chose Milo at Berkeley was because people have the freedom to protest peacefully if they like, but when people consider it to be hate speech because he gives speeches to people that do want to hear what he has to say and are more conservative, then become violent that isn't okay. The reason I believe that Milo should have been allowed on campuses is because conservative students should be able to hear out other conservative speakers, if liberal students can hear liberal speakers without any repercussion or fear it may be shut downs.
A solution that I think there is a chance to help with that speech and free speech is being open minded. I know it is a stretch for more people to be open minded but if people where more open minded then there would be less people that find it to be hate speech if they hear out why someone thinks the way they do. Even if you don't agree with what they must say but if you end up hearing out what others have to say on the topic that you don't agree with you may be able to understand the persons thought process and therefore less offended or less likely to call it hate speech. Although that wouldn't be the way it would work for everything because racism no matter how hard someone tried to explain their thought process wouldn't be acceptable.
End the end I believe that hate speech is an issue in the world that the media blows out of proportion in some cases. Another thing that I believe in is that there is a difference between hate speech and freedom of speech that weighs in on a lot. To go along with the free speech and hate speech A solution to that is people being open minded enough to understand the thought process behind the thought could help reduce violent actions taken in response to what someone had to say.
Article: http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/01/us/milo-yiannopoulos-berkeley/index.html
No comments:
Post a Comment