UNCIVIL DISCORSE
Genevieve Aleman
MW 3:30-4:45p.m
SOC 111
Uncivil discourse has always been and will probably always be a topic of controversy. Blunt rude comments, offend people, and offended people will cause quite a bit of chaos.
Now, obviously there are instances where it is crystal clear when speech should be punished or not, for example, a co-worker telling an employee "I really want to rape you right now" should absolutely be punished. I would argue that, speech should be punished when it is leading directly to physical harm. For example, a member of a group like the "kkk" saying "I want to hang an African American" should be punished or restricted in some form. Why? Well because an individual that has a high probability of actually hurting an African American as well as a history of doing so is making this statement.
Limiting free speech, in my opinion, is to limit democracy and in the process of this, our reputation of being the "free country" is tarnished. Publically punishing somebody for uncivil discourse sets an example for others that says speaking in opposition, (or thinking in opposition) to a political leader will result in undesired consequences. Too keep a free country and to keep democracy FREE speech and instances of uncivil disclosure are vital. You can not take passion and impulse out of a human without taking their free will. I agree that it (it being uncivil discourse) is not the most tasteful way to express your opinion, but in the end it's your opinion and it is a package deal with freedom.
I think situations such as Ward Churchill and our very own Fresno State professor demonstrate suppression of free speech. This is not the way to handle uncivil discourse. I think the punishment of our Fresno State professor as well as Churchill, results in professors down playing, sugar coating, or even hiding their opinions which ultimately prevents students from being exposed to controversial topics that push them to broaden their perspectives. Opening your mind is a major importance of college. This punishment also sends the message to students and the public that if you don't conform to what's expected you will be shoved out. I agree his words were harsh and I understand why some people feel as though his words were seen as very "inappropriate" to some. But, to me personally, its absolutely absurd to tell a grown adult "no you cant say that", "don't feel that" because its not ok to others. You have the right to your thoughts; they are, after all, YOUR thoughts.
Also I have to say that anybody with a capacity to understand the concepts of sarcasm and exaggeration would also understand that this professor was not about to literally raise money to hang Trump. The probability of him actually hanging trump is nonexistent. I also must say that this professor in no way should be held accountable for the Fresno shooting of four men. I think that is a ridiculous stretch.
Uncivil discourse can be harmful in the sense that it angers people but it is far more dangerous to punish all instances of uncivil discourse. Citizens must be allowed to fully express their opinions, especially regarding politics. If opinions and speech are restricted so will the power of the people.
No comments:
Post a Comment