Sunday, May 7, 2017

Sonia Martinez Uncivil Discource

Sonia Martinez

Soc. 3

T. Kubal

May 7, 2017

Uncivil Discourse

                The article in my opinion is harmful and is not harmful; it really just depends on how you look at it and how you feel towards it. With times like these it is hard to not think wrong of others and be so judgmental. You need a really good understanding before making the right decisions. Sometimes we all get caught up in the moment and don't think about we did until once it's happened. Uncivil discourse is a problem in this country because we have people viewing situations from different points of view. No matter how civil we try to be there will always be someone around us that is uncivil. Lately situations have been getting a bit out of hand and people are resulting in committing crime to express how they feel. I don't think that is right at all. Uncivil discourse I think isn't a problem until people begin to get violent and begin to do things that are illegal or inhumane.

                This past NFL season Colin Kaepernick had the world talking about him. He did something no one else had in the NFL history. He chose to kneel down during the National Anthem. I personally think that it was good that he stood up in a peaceful way not in a crazy violent way. After all we do have the right of doing as we please and for him being a well known athlete and doing this, it got to a lot of fans and people were with and against him. In the article, Colin Kaepernick is a Patriot, the author brings to our attention that in the United States communities of color have suffered more. "In Kaepernick's case it is both a sign of respect and a sign of protest. And I think it's incredibly elegant. If I understand the situation correctly, he had been kneeling for several weeks before the media picked up on it. He did it silently and on his own. A quiet respectful way of enacting both of our most deeply held beliefs: the freedom to protest the lack of equality in a nation that imagines itself as the most egalitarian place on earth." I agree with the author that it was both a sign of respect and a sign of protest.

                After Colin was brave enough to do this, other celebrities started following along. There are so much different cases happening daily and all people want is equality for all. But how can we be equal if there is so much discrimination, I honestly don't know because the discrimination hasn't stopped and unfortunately I don't think that discrimination will ever end. It is sad to say but some people can't be happy if they choose to live in a world full of hate and discrimination against innocent people. I hope that one day things get better and we really cut down on the hate crimes and discrimination as a whole in society. 

1 comment:

  1. Forgot to add the work cited:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-riofrio/colin-kaepernick-is-a-pat_b_12542660.html

    ReplyDelete