In my opinions of uncivil discourse, I believe it can and cannot be harmful because I believe our rights are constantly being redefine with each new generation. I believe that when those who speak about hate and discrimination, they are welcome to speak to any adults because it is their rights. I, as an adult, am capable of making up my own mind and decisions and I believe that when it comes to hate speech, I am able to not be influences by their words and I can view their perspective with an unbiased perception. I also believe I am able to make an unbiased objective due to my education and exposure to other form of speeches.
When it comes to giving hate speech with children around and/or to children, I highly disagree and believe it is inappropriate because children's mind are still being develop. It would not be fair to those children, but I believe there are ways to inform them of different opinions without putting some one down based on the color of their skin, the way they speak, and where their family came from. It turns out that in a survey of 830 educators, more teachers are becoming more comfortable in speaking about politics to their students from the grade k-12. Some of the teachers had noticed that there has been in increase of bullying and correlate it to the election of our president.
With more teachers becoming more comfortable speaking about politics in class, many of them are exposing to the students that there are many form of media that gives the incorrect and/or false news. Many of the teachers are teaching valuable lessons to the students to not believe everything they read on social media and assume it is correct simply for the story to be online, but look in to accredited website and sources.
Uncivil discourse is something that I believe will never be obsolete, but it can be manageable. By teaching children at a young age to learn how to find their resources, it will give the children better tools to deal with any uncivil discourse in their adulthood. I believe all teachers should be able to speak about politics without bias and give their students the chance to form their own opinions.
No comments:
Post a Comment